Monday, October 29, 2007

Math is hard

I've grown accustomed to continually doing the math to figure out what time it is back home. It's easy: just subtract 2 and toggle am/pm. I base all of my timezones on this simple calculation. If I need pacific time, then I figure out east coast, and subtract 3.

All of this is being thrown into upheaval. This week, Australia began day light savings time. Everywhere except Queensland. So now, Sydney and Melbourne are an hour ahead of me. That means I have another equation to remember. Then next week, the US goes back to standard time, and, for the life of me, I can't figure out what that does to my equation. Is it 3 hours difference from here but 4 from Sydney/Melbourne? Or 4 and 3?

There is no longer any order in my world.

3 comments:

Ani October 30, 2007 at 12:55 AM  

Just think how hard this would be for a non-math person like me - boggles my mind!!

Paul Riegle October 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM  

Eastern will be Toggle - 3

3am eastern --> 6pm you

i think.

Dave October 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM  

laura, listen to streaming wbur out of boston. this is what i do and with them i learned to just add 11 hours (and subtract a day, but really the day is irrelevant for me).
i also learned from them that hocr was last weekend and i looked up how crushed our alma mater was when they crippled home.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Photo by Jaredflo

Back to TOP